Alec Baldwin hasn’t turned over his phone a month after Santa Fe authorities got a warrant to search it in connection to the fatal shooting of a cinematographer on the set of ‘Rust,’ with his lawyer now saying he will hand over the device this week.
The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office laid out the steps it has taken to get a hold of Baldwin’s phone on Thursday.
Deputies say they got a search warrant approved on December 16 – weeks after cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed when Baldwin fired a prop gun loaded with a live round while rehearsing a scene for the film at a New Mexico ranch.
Deputies then reached out to the Santa Fe District Attorney’s Office for assistance. On December 20, the Sheriff’s Office learned that the DA was in negotiations with Baldwin’s lawyer to get the cell phone, KRQE reports.
The actor was pictured walking around with his cell phone in New York City on Thursday. He has previously said that he doesn’t feel guilty for Hutchins’ death and that he didn’t pull the trigger.
Baldwin still hasn’t turned over his phone to Santa Fe authorities a month after they requested it. Above, the actor, 63, walking with his phone in New York on Thursday
Baldwin has said he is ‘1,000 percent going to comply’ with the request. Above, Baldwin on his phone outside the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office the day of the shooting, October 21
The October 21 incident happened on the western ‘Rust at Bonanza Creek Ranch
Rust cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was accidentally shot dead by Baldwin, who now claims he never fired the weapon
Authorities in New York have also gotten involved in pursuit of Baldwin’s cell phone.
Last week, the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office on Long Island – where Baldwin owns a home – said it was contacted by Santa Fe authorities for help. The request was sent to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office to see how, or if, Long Island authorities could help, according to the New York Post.
Baldwin’s layer Aaron Dyer responded to the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office on Thursday in a statement to the Hollywood Reporter.
‘We reached an agreement last weekend with the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office and the Santa Fe District Attorney’s Office, and Mr. Baldwin’s phone is being turned over this week for review.
‘Ever since this tragic incident, Mr. Baldwin has continued to cooperate with the authorities, and any suggestion to the contrary is simply untrue. We requested that the authorities obtain a warrant so that we could protect his privacy on other matters unrelated to Rust and have been working through that process. We are finalizing logistics with the authorities in New York who are assisting in this matter.’
The actor, 63, said he was cooperating with authorities in a video message posted on Instagram Saturday.
‘Any suggestion that I am not complying with requests or orders or demands or search warrants about my phone, that’s bulls**t, that’s a lie,’ the beleaguered actor said.
Alec Baldwin stands next to Halyna Hutchins (center) on the set of Rust
Baldwin, 63, said authorities in New Mexico, where the shooting occurred, are coordinating with authorities of New York, where Baldwin lives, in order to obtain the phone, adding that it was a lengthy process and that ‘someone from another state can’t just say “give me your phone.”‘
‘They can’t just go through your phone and take your photos or your love letters to your wife or what have you,’ he said.
‘Of course, we are 1,000 percent going to comply with all that. We are perfectly fine with that,’ Baldwin said.
In the five-minute-long Instagram video, Baldwin lambasted ‘right-wing rag sheets’ and ‘people who are going to hate,’ noting that the left-leaning New York Daily News had run a front-page story about the death of film giant Sidney Poitier while the Rupert Murdoch-owned New York Post ran a cover story about authorities in New Mexico working with police on Long Island to get Baldwin’s phone for their investigation, a story that he called ‘lies and bulls**t and nonsense.’
The actor said he aimed to ‘set aside all the hate’ and the ‘January 6th of it all’ in 2022.
He opened the Instagram story with a bizarre tale about a young woman who allegedly handed him a Splenda packet reading: ‘You are 100 percent true. Thanks for the laughs, good sir. Cheers to a new year. Love you’ while he was out at a restaurant with his daughter Carmen, his Hamptons pal David Nugent and Nugent’s daughter.
He called the hand-off of the encouraging packet ‘nothing short of a miracle.’
Baldwin was brandishing a Colt gun during a rehearsal for the low-budget Western being filmed near Santa Fe in October when it discharged a live round, killing Hutchins.
The warrant said the phone could provide evidence, citing various text messages and emails sent to and from Baldwin regarding the film’s production.
Investigators have not filed criminal charges over the tragedy, and have refused to rule out charges against anyone involved, including Baldwin.
Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed filed a lawsuit in a Bernalillo County, New Mexico court Wednesday that claimed Alec Baldwin, 63, ignored a request to attend a ‘cross draw’ session about a week before the tragedy
The lawsuit claims the film’s assistant director broke protocol by handing the gun to Baldwin without calling on Gutierrez-Reed to inspect it a final time before use
Gutierrez-Reed said that during the last time she checked Baldwin’s gun, she was certain it was filled with dummy rounds
The 24-year-old armorer on the Rust set, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, filed a lawsuit in a Bernalillo County, New Mexico court on Wednesday that claims Baldwin ignored a request to attend a ‘cross draw’ session about a week before the tragedy.
The rookie armorer also faulted assistant director David Halls for failing to follow set protocol when he allegedly handed Baldwin the weapon without first calling on her to inspect it, according to the lawsuit.
Gutierrez-Reed, 24, is suing Seth Kenney and his company PDQ Arm and Prop LLC for allegedly supplying the deadly bullet. Baldwin is not named as a defendant in the suit.
The 24-page document is also rife with details about a set rife with bitter disputes, carelessness and anecdotes that detail a disregard for safety.
Gutierrez-Reed – whose dad is legendary film armorer Thell Reed – said her father worked with Kenney on a previous film, where they trained actors at a licensed shooting range using live ammunition.
Following the workshop, Kenney took a bucket filed with upward of 300 live .45 Colt rounds home, the lawsuit claims. The cache included Starline Brass reloaded ‘live’ rounds – the same type of bullet used during the ‘Rust’ incident.
About a month later, Gutierrez-Reed landed a gig as an armorer and props assistant on ‘Rust,’ where she was tasked with juggling two jobs at once.
Alec Baldwin, seen above for the first time after a lawsuit from an armorer for doomed western Rust, is laying part of the blame on him for failing to attend a training session
‘This gun heavy script required Hannah to perform a significant amount of work each day as both an armorer and key props assistant,’ the legal filing said.
She was soon joined on set by props manager Sarah Zachry, who later accidentally fired a blank round at her foot on set, the lawsuit said.
About 20 minutes after that mishap, Baldwin’s stunt double also accidentally discharged a weapon on set, prompting Gutierrez-Reed to confront her colleague about the sloppy mistakes, the lawsuit said.
When she indicated her intentions of reporting the incident to management, it led to a headed exchange with Kenney, the bullet supplier.
‘Accidental discharges are accidents,’ Kenney said in a text message referenced in the legal filing. ‘We learn and move on, and don’t forget, she’s your boss. Don’t push it.’
Shortly after the shooting, Halls released a statement calling Hutchins his ‘friend’ and asked the industry to ‘reevaluate’ its values
On the morning of the shooting, October 21, Gutierrez-Reed said she arrived to the set to find Zachry already in the prop trailer, retrieving fire arms.
She also discovered a full box labeled ‘dummy rounds .45 LC’ that someone placed atop her equipment bag, the lawsuit said.
She believes the box came from Kenney and when she shook it, heard a ‘jingling’ sound which is what it’s supposed to sound like when dummy bullets are being rattled.
Later that morning, she said she, Zachry and another coworker loaded Baldwin’s gun, attempting to use dummy rounds from the box.
‘For Alec Baldwin’s gun, Hannah loaded 4 dummy rounds with holes in them from her pants pocket, a 5th dummy round from the box with a hole in it and attempted to load a 6th dummy round without a hole in it from the box but it would not go into the chamber, and she thought the chamber might need to be cleaned,’ the lawsuit said.
‘Hannah remembers shaking the sixth round to ensure herself that it was a dummy round.’
Kenney texted Gutierrez-Reed after the tragedy and tried to persuade her to lay the blame on the film’s assistant director Halls
Baldwin was then handed the gun and in possession of it from 10 am through 12:30 pm, when the crew broke for lunch, the filing said.
It was stored until 1:30 pm, when she cleaned Baldwin’s gun and inserted another round from the dummy box into it after shaking it to ensure it was not real, the claim said.
‘To the best of Hannah’s knowledge, the gun was now loaded with 6 dummy rounds,’ the claim said. ‘Indeed, Defendants as suppliers of prop ammunition to the Rust set, sold, distributed, and advertised its props as dummy ammunition and not live rounds.
‘Hannah relied upon and trusted that Defendants would only supply dummy prop ammunition, or blanks, and no live rounds were ever to be on set.’
She then delivered the gun to to set church and handed it to Halls, the assistant director, who said he’d be ‘sitting in’ with the gun.
The lawsuit claims Halls later handed the gun to Baldwin without calling on Gutierrez-Reed to inspect it a final time before use.
She said she was tending to her duties as a prop assistant.
‘Knowing that no gun scene was going on at that time according to Halls, and with awareness of COVID protocols and social distancing, Hannah then walked outside the church to prepare her fanny pack for scenes that afternoon and to do some of her prop duties,’ the lawsuit said.
‘Production was behind that day and Hannah was acutely aware of the need to attend to her prop duties as well, for scenes that afternoon.’
Within 15 minutes, cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was shot dead, and director Joel Souza was struck in the shoulder.
The accidental discharge never would have happened if Halls had summoned Gutierrez-Reed to supervise, the court filing said.
Shortly after the shooting, Halls released a statement calling Hutchins his ‘friend’ and asked the industry to ‘reevaluate’ its values.
‘I’m shocked and saddened by her death,’ Halls said. ‘It’s my hope that this tragedy prompts the industry to reevaluate its values and practices to ensure no one is harmed through the creative process again.’
He failed to address reports that he was one of the three people to handle the loaded gun before the tragedy.
Baldwin’s version of the on-set tragedy
‘I’m just showing. I go, “How ’bout that? Does that work? You see that? Do you see that?'”
‘And then she goes, “Yeah, that’s good.”
‘I let go of the hammer, bang. The gun goes off. Everyone is horrified. They’re shocked. It’s loud. They don’t have their earplugs in.
‘No one was — the gun was supposed to be empty. I was told I was handed an empty gun.
‘If they were cosmetic rounds, nothing with a charge at all, a flash round, nothing.
‘She goes down, I thought to myself, “Did she faint?”
‘The notion that there was a live round in that gun did not dawn on me ’till probably 45 minutes to an hour later.’
He added: ‘Well, she’s laying there and I go, “Did she hit by wadding? Was there a blank?”
‘I never pulled the trigger. No, no, no. You would never do that.
‘The gun was supposed to be empty. I was told I was handed an empty gun.
‘Nobody gave a f*** who you are anymore until this. You see a lot of people with their phones now, in a coffee shop,’ he said, showing them filming him.