Just a third of Americans approve of President Joe Biden in a new poll released Wednesday – with just three-quarters of Democrats registering support for him.
The new Qunnipiac University poll has Biden’s approval rating at 33 percent, with majority 53 per cent disapproval as the president begins the new year.
A substantial 13 per cent said they had no opinion in the survey, taken a Biden tries to fire up his base during the new year with major speeches on the Jan. 6th anniversary and a call for action on voting rights.
The same poll shows a drop from November, when Biden’s approval was also underwater at 36 to 53 per cent.
Biden’s disapproval among Democrats in the new survey was at 14 per cent, compared to 7 per cent back in November.
A new Qunnipiac University poll has Biden’s approval rating at 33 percent, with majority 53 per cent disapproval as he begins the new year
Among Independents, Biden’s approval is at just 25 percent, with 57 per cent disapproval.
The same survey shows 53 per cent think it is likely there will be another attack on the U.S. like the Jan. 6th Capitol riot.
Fifty percent called it an attack on democracy, while 44 per cent said too much is being made of the incident, the subject of a House probe that also gets majority support.
And a 58 – 37 percent majority say the nation’s democracy is in danger of collapse.
As for Biden’s predecessor Donald Trump, who Biden called a ‘defeated former president’ in his Capitol speech, 43 per cent said he bears a lot of responsibility for Jan. 6th, while another 18 percent said he bore some, for a total of 61 per cent. Sixteen per cent said he didn’t bear much responsibility, and 20 per cent said none.
The poll comes as Biden sharpens his attacks on Trump, who is considering a run to try to recapture the White House, while top Republicans in Congress say they could regain control.
The survey comes as Biden’s approval numbers continue to hover in the mid-40s, while a new poll shows that a little more than a third of American voters support changing the filibuster to get voting legislation passed.
A new Politico-Morning Consult survey showed that 44 per cent of voters somewhat or strongly support the job Biden is doing, versus 53 per cent who said they somewhat or strongly disapprove of the Democrat’s handling of the job.
Additionally, 66 per cent of those surveyed describe the U.S. as on the ‘wrong track,’ with 40 per cent saying economic issues will determine how they vote in the 2022 midterm elections.
President Joe Biden’s approval numbers continue to hover in the mid-40s, with 44 per cent of voters somewhat or strongly supporting the job Biden is doing, versus 53 per cent who said they somewhat or strongly disapprove of the Democrat’s handling of the job
Thirty-seven per cent of voters said they supported tinkering with the filibuster. Democrats were much more likely to support the move, with 62 per cent saying they supported it, versus just 17 per cent of Republicans
On the economy, Biden’s grades are slightly lower than his overall approval numbers. Forty per cent said they somewhat or strongly approved Biden’s handling of the economy versus 54 per cent who strongly or somewhat disapproved.
This week, Biden has made voting rights his top agenda item – and while provisions within the proposed bills are popular with a majority of Americans, tinkering with the filibuster is not.
Overall, 37 per cent of registered voters said they supported meddling with the filibuster to get voting rights bills through the U.S. Senate.
About an even number, 36 per cent, said they did not support this maneuver.
Democrats were much more likely to support the move, with 62 per cent saying they supported it, versus just 17 per cent of Republicans.
Biden and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer have voiced support for a filibuster carve-out that would enable Senate Democrats to pass two House-passed voting rights bills, but Democratic moderates like Sen. Joe Manchin, are against meddling with the filibuster without some GOP support.
The parts of the bills that are popular with the public include making Election Day a federal holiday.
Pollsters found this was backed by 61 per cent of voters.
Additionally, 65 per cent supported expanding access to early voting and 64 per cent support provisions that would prohibit partisan gerrymandering.
Sixty-three per cent backed requiring states with a recent history of voting rights legislation to have to go through the Department of Justice before making changes to voting laws, a component in the John R. Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act.
Even 58 per cent of Republicans favored DOJ oversight, pollsters found.