Minnesota HS football coach resigns amid player sodomy probe

Longtime Minnesota high school football coach RESIGNS as police investigate brutal hazing ‘where a player was held down and sodomized’

The football coach at a Minnesota high school has stepped down amid a police investigation into an alleged hazing incident, in which students say a player was held down and sodomized by his teammates. 

Derek Parendo resigned from his coaching and teaching jobs at Proctor High School on during a School Board meeting on Monday. He had worked for the school district for 21 years.

Officials canceled the football season for all high school grades in September amid the investigation into player misconduct. 

Scroll down for video 

Derek Parendo is married with children

Derek Parendo (left and right), a veteran football coach at Proctor High School in Minnesota, has resigned his coaching and teaching jobs amid a player misconduct investigation

Police are looking in to what has been described by students as a hazing incident, in which a football player was sodomized with an object by an older teammate (this undated photo shows the Proctor Rails in green during a game)  

Police have said little about the investigation because it involves juveniles, but several students at Proctor High School revealed harrowing details in interviews with CBS Minnesota earlier this month. 

Proctor senior Phoenix Koski said she saw footage circulating on Snapchat, showing the brutal assault on the football player

Proctor senior Phoenix Koski said she saw footage circulating on Snapchat, showing the brutal assault on the football player

Phoenix Koski, a senior at Proctor High School, told the station she saw footage circulating on Snapchat, showing a brutal assault on a football player. 

According to accounts from multiple students who allegedly have seen the video, two football players held down a third player, while an older teammate used an unspecified object to sodomize the victim.  

‘I think it was gross, really gross,’ senior Tony Villebrun told the news outlet.

It is unclear when the hazing incident happened, or where, but students who spoke to the CBS station said the players seen in the video have been absent from classes from the time administrators first learned of what happened. 

Parendo had worked for the Proctor School District for 21 years

He will not been returning in the fall

Parendo had worked for the Proctor School District for 21 years. He will not been returning in the fall 

School officials cancelled the football season in Proctor after learning of the incident

School officials cancelled the football season in Proctor after learning of the incident 

Superintendent John Engelking told school board members on Monday night that extra counseling has been offered to students and the investigation is ‘all consuming.’

‘You need to know we are doing everything we can to support our students and staff,’ Engelking said, as Minneapolis Star Tribune reported. 

As part of a separation agreement between Parendo and the school district, the veteran coach will remain on a personal leave of absence through the end of the school year and will not return next fall. 

According to his Facebook page, Parendo is married with two daughters.  

Proctor is a city of about 3,000 people just west of Duluth. 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *