Novak Djokovic: Australian Open delayed as tennis star deportation decision looms

Australian Open draw is delayed ‘until further notice’ – without explanation – as Novak Djokovic is seen looking tense ahead of looming deportation decision

Th Australian Open draw has been delayed ‘until further notice’ without  explanation as tennis champion Novak Djokovic is seen looking tense as his deportation decision looms.  

The Open draw was set to be held at Melbourne Park on Thursday afternoon while top seed Djokovic remains in limbo, sweating on a decision from Immigration Minister Alex Hawke. 

But hours before it was due to kick off, officials announced the major tennis tournament would been delayed indefinitely without citing reasons.

The postponement comes after the world no. 1 was seen looking tense during a practice session on Thursday morning. 

Th Australian Open draw has been delayed ‘until further notice’ without explanation as tennis champion Novak Djokovic is seen looking tense as his deportation decision looms

Despite a win in court on Monday, the Serbian superstar still faces the prospect of deportation with Hawke retaining the power to cancel Djokovic’s visa.

In winning the case, Federal Circuit Court Judge Anthony Kelly on Monday said Djokovic was given insufficient time to speak to Tennis Australia officials and to lawyers to respond to being told of the intent to cancel his visa.

A decision by Hawke is expected on Thursday after his office said additional information provided by Djokovic’s legal team had pushed back the timeline.

It’s unclear whether there are other legal avenues that Djokovic can pursue if he fails in his bid to remain in the country.

The nine-time titleholder used a recent COVID-19 infection to gain a medical exemption, but was denied entry by Australian Border Force officials and sent to detention hotel.

Subsequently, Djokovic admitted in a statement on Wednesday he had provided false information on his travel declaration and blamed his agent for the error.

He said he didn’t attend any public events after testing positive but revealed he had conducted a media interview in Serbia while knowingly infected, which he described as an ‘error of judgement’.

Djokovic has tried to keep it business as usual in his build-up to the Open, where he will bid for a record 21st grand slam title.

He was scheduled for another training session at Rod Laver Arena on Thursday.

Djokovic previously had a session with young Australian Tristan Schoolkate, which was his third on court since being released from hotel detention on Monday.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *