Friends of a British widow who died after being stung by a wasp at a Spanish restaurant have paid tribute to her ‘beautiful [and] vibrant’ personality as the first pictures of her emerged.
Ingrid Dale, 67 and originally from Norfolk, died after going into anaphylactic shock when she was stung during a charity lunch with friends at Hill Top Sports Bar & Grill in Moraira, two hours north of Benidorm, around 2pm on Monday.
Tributes from friends and well-wishers poured in as news of her shock passing spread, with people recalling Ingrid as a ‘strong, stoic, get-on-with-it type’ who was a ‘wonderful friend’ with a ‘zest for life’.
Ingrid Dale, 67 and originally from Norfolk, died after going into anaphylactic shock when she was stung by a wasp during a charity lunch with friends in Spain on Monday
Fitness instructor Kimberley Marie Harrison revealed that Ingrid spent her final hours exercising at her Zumba class and studying Spanish, before heading to the restaurant where she died to host a lunch raising money for Ukraine.
Kimberley described Ingrid as a pet lover who was devoted to her family including her grandchildren and ‘lived life to the full’.
She added: ‘I send my heartfelt condolences to her family. What a huge loss. Know she was having fun to the very last. Huge hugs to all those who have been deeply shocked and affected by this.
‘Wednesday morning’s Zumba class is in memory of Ingrid. We will do it her way, in bright colours and with smiles on our faces as much as possible to celebrate a life really lived.
‘The playlist will be full of her favourites. We’ll dance for you Ingrid. In some of your favourite words, ‘you’ve just got to get on with it haven’t you, life’s too short’.
‘We’ll do that, in your memory, celebrating you precious.’
Gale Turp responded by saying: ‘What a wonderful tribute Kimberley. We have lost one special lady. So dance your socks off ladies for our wonderful friend.’
Friends and loved-ones paid tribute to ‘vibrant’ Ingrid, describing her as a pet lover who was devoted to her family, and a ‘get-on-with-it type’
Expat Debra Soraya Williams wrote: ‘It’s just not going to be the same paddling out to sea without Ingrid.
‘She was always game. I loved her attitude and zest for life.’
Philip Wendy wrote on social media: ‘She was a beautiful person. She will truly be missed.’
Yoga and dance enthusiast Arilda Hernaez Peacock added: ‘Such sad news. Bless you Ingrid. Carry on dancing in the Heavens.’
Police and paramedics were called to the British-run bar-restaurant where Ingrid was holding the charity lunch around 2pm Monday to reports of a woman in distress.
When medics arrived, they found Ingrid suffering from anaphylactic shock – a severe allergic reaction that can cause swelling of the mouth and throat that blocks airways, an irregular heartbeat and fainting.
Emergency services say Ingrid was loaded into an ambulance and had CPR performed on her, but could not be saved.
She was pronounced dead at the scene around 3pm.
Ingrid went into anaphylactic shock while having a charity lunch with friends at this restaurant north of Benidorm on Monday to raise money for Ukraine
A spokesman for the Civil Guard said: ‘Officers attended the restaurant where the incident occurred after a British woman aged 67 was stung by a wasp.
‘She was being assisted by emergency medical responders on the restaurant terrace when they arrived.
‘She was subsequently transferred to an ambulance where she died after going into cardiac arrest.
‘A doctor certified her dead around 3pm local time on Monday.’
The results of the autopsy, believed to have been carried out on Tuesday, are not expected to be made public as is customary in Spain.
The most severe reactions to wasp stings are referred to as anaphylaxis. It occurs when your body goes into shock in response to wasp venom.
A source close to the ongoing investigation into Ingrid’s death, said ahead of the post-mortem: ‘It appears she went into anaphylactic shock but it will be up to a forensic expert during an autopsy to confirm this.’