The producer of DC’s upcoming film The Flash has tried to calm fan’s fears that it is next to be axed by Warner Bros after the studio killed off the $90million flop film Batgirl.
Starring Ezra Miller, The Flash is scheduled to be released in 2023 – but many have speculated that it will also be shelved because of Warner Bros’ seeming lack of clarity.
According to The Flash Film News on Twitter, the movie’s producer Barbara Muschietti said that ‘All is good in Flash land’ despite it only being ‘expected’ to hit theaters next June.
In a conversation with the fan page, which collates information about the upcoming film, Muschietti said that it was ‘absolute b******t’ to suggest that The Flash does not yet have a firm release date.
They posted: ‘Amid the recent DCEU shakeup, THE FLASH producer, Barbara Muschietti, wants to reassure fans that “all is good in Flash land.”‘
According to The Flash Film News on Twitter, the movie’s producer said in an Instagram message that ‘All is good in Flash land.’ It comes after the star of The Flash Ezra Miller was arrested multiple times
Barbara Muschietti tried to ease fans’ minds – but many still believe that there is a chance that Warner Bros could axe the film before its release next year
The Flash actor Ezra Miller is seen in a police booking photo after his arrest for disorderly conduct and harassment in March 2022
The Twitter page also said that the producer called the allegation that there is no set date ‘absolute b******t’
But Warner Bros has allegedly been put in a difficult position because the film’s star Miller has been arrested multiple times – and the actor’s behavior has become erratic, according to Rolling Stone.
Miller was arrested twice earlier this year after they allegedly assaulted and spit at someone in Hawaii.
The film is said to be on track for its release next year, but Warner Bros has paused working on any future projects involving Miller.
David Zaslav, CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery, previously said that Miller is ‘simply not a part of those plans going forward in the future universe regardless if there are more allegations or not.’
Despite Muschietti’s assurance, fans are still skeptical that the film will finally be in theaters next year.
One wrote: ‘Sure, she told we would get a trailer 2 months ago. Still we got nothing. It might get cancelled, I don’t know.’
Another fan added: ‘Like I’ve been saying… don’t ask producers or directors. They have NO IDEA. Until they are told, they will say nothing is wrong.’
A third person wrote online: ‘Bet that’s what Batgirl’s crew thought 2 days ago also.’
Warner Bros has not commented on whether The Flash is still expected to hit screens next year, and the company did not dismiss allegations that it may be axed.
According to Washington Posts’ comic book expert David Betancourt, the lack of clarity and Miller’s recent actions mean ‘one must wonder whether we’ll ever see Michael Keaton’s bat-comeback at all.’
This comes after Batgirl star Leslie Grace spoke out for the first time after Warner Bros executives axed the $90 million movie, and shared behind-the-scenes pictures and footage from the film’s production.
Writing on Instagram following criticism of the sudden canceling from directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah on Wednesday, the actress said she was proud of the movie executives deemed ‘awful’ following test screenings.
‘Querida familia! On the heels of the recent news about our movie ‘Batgirl,’ I am proud of the love, hard work and intention all of our incredible cast and tireless crew put into this film over seven months in Scotland,’ Grace wrote.
‘I am proud of the love, hard work and intention all of our incredible cast and tireless crew put into this film over seven months in Scotland,’ Grace wrote
Leslie Grace, who was set to star as Batgirl, defended the $90 million movie on Thursday after Warner Brothers executives canceled it
‘I feel blessed to have worked among absolute greats and forged relationships for a lifetime in the process! To every Batgirl fan – THANK YOU for the love and belief, allowing me to take on the cape and become, as Babs said best, ‘my own damn hero!”’
As she stood by the movie, Grace – who was set to star in the lead role as Batgirl – shared videos and pictures of the production, including several photos of herself in the Batgirl costume and of the crew having fun.
One of the photos shows Grace posing in the purple superhero attire, complete with a black cape, flowing red hair and the Batgirl cowl over her face.
Another photo shows off Grace in blood and bruise makeup, relaxing inside a tent while wearing the costume. The actress was also wearing a large jacket and winter cap over the outfit.
Along with a photo of her unmasked, bloodied and bruised, Grace also shared what appears to be a picture from the film set of her and another actor running near a large fire.
Grace’s defense of the movie came just hours after the directors voiced their disbelief that the movie had been canned, saying they wished Batgirl could have been shown to fans across the world.
But God willing ‘inshAllah’ it will be one day, Arbi and Fallahsaid said.
The decision to axe the film — which was slated to be released on HBO Max later this year — came after a series of test screenings were panned by audiences, and studio execs thought it would hurt the future of the brand as they seek to streamline the DC Extended Universe.
El Arbi and Fallah, who also directed Bad Boys For Life and Disney+’s Ms Marvel, wrote in a statement on Instagram: ‘We are saddened and shocked by the news. We still can’t believe it.
The Batgirl film has been ‘canned’ by Warner Bros. after spending more than $100m on the movie because studio executives want to move away from made-for-streaming projects
The Batgirl film would have featured Latina actress Leslie Grace in the titular role as she battled Brendan Fraser’s Firefly who turned to a life of crime after he is fired from his job, loses his health insurance and could no longer care for his sick wife
‘As directors, it is critical that our work be shown to audiences, and while the film was far from finished, we wish that fans all over the world would have had the opportunity to see and embrace the final film themselves.
‘Maybe one day they will insha’Allah.’
The directors continued: ‘Our amazing cast and crew did a tremendous job and worked so hard to bring Batgirl to life. We are forever grateful to have been part of that team.
‘It was a dream to work with such fantastic actors like Michael Keaton, JK Simmons, Brendan Fraser, Jacob Scipio, Corey Johnson, Rebecca Front, and especially the great Leslie Grace, who portrayed Batgirl with so much passion, dedications and humanity.
‘In any case as huge fans of Batman since we were little kids, it was a privilege and an honor to have been a part of the DCEU even if it was for a brief moment. Batgirl For Life.’
Batgirl was first given the greenlight in 2021 as part of a company-wide effort to create feature films specifically for HBO Max.
It would have featured Grace in the titular role as she battled Brendan Fraser’s Firefly who turned to a life of crime after he is fired from his job, loses his health insurance and could no longer care for his sick wife.
Warner Bros spokesperson said on Tuesday: ‘The decision to not release Batgirl reflects our leadership’s strategic shift as it relates to the DC universe and HBO Max.
‘Leslie Grace is an incredibly talented actor and this decision is not a reflection of her performance. We are incredibly grateful to the filmmakers of Batgirl and Scoob! Holiday Haunt and their respective casts and we hope to collaborate with everyone again in the near future.’