Woke Washington Post is blasted over claim Waukesha tragedy that killed six ‘was caused by an SUV’

Social media users slammed the Washington Post over a viral since-deleted tweet saying the Waukesha massacre that killed six people, including one child, was ’caused by an SUV’.

‘Here’s what we know so far on the sequence of events that led to the Waukesha tragedy caused by [an] SUV,’ the newspaper tweeted on Wednesday with a link to their coverage of the event.

The tragedy in Wisconsin took place Sunday night after career criminal Darrell Brooks plowed his SUV into a parade of Christmas marchers.

Five people ranging in age from 52 to 81 were pronounced dead within hours. One of many injured children, Jackson Sparks, 8, died on Tuesday. Representatives for area hospitals said Wednesday that at least 16 people are being treated for injuries.

Brooks, 39, was arrested and charged with five counts of first-degree intentional homicide. He is expected to face a sixth count over Sparks’ death. The Waukesha County District Attorney has also said additional charges are likely.

However, the Post’s tweet and article seemingly placed responsibility on Brooks’ vehicle, instead of on him, prompting outrage from readers. 

‘It was not caused by an SUV. This was an intentional attack by a terrible person,’ Josh Jordan tweeted. ‘There’s no reason to frame it as an accident at this point nor is there a reason to blame it on anything but the driver.’

The Washington Post wrote, in a since deleted tweet, Wednesday: ‘Here’s what we know so far on the sequence of events that led to the Waukesha tragedy caused by a SUV’

Social media users slammed the newspaper for placing responsibility on the SUV instead of accused Darrell Brooks

Social media users slammed the newspaper for placing responsibility on the SUV instead of accused Darrell Brooks

The newspaper’s article chronicling the events of the massacre, failed to mention Brooks until the fifth paragraph. 

It also repeatedly referred to the SUV as action-driver, not Brooks who was behind the wheel.

‘A quarter-mile from the rotary building, at 4:39 p.m., an officer told a dispatcher a maroon Ford Escape ‘just blew by [him]’ at White Rock and Hartwell avenues, the intersection where barricades blocking traffic to the parade were removed just a minute before, according to police audio and time codes provided by Broadcastify,’ the Post wrote.

The author continued: ‘A few moments later, the SUV rammed through the parade participants, killing five and injuring more than 40 people, including children.’

Social media users slammed the Washington Post over a viral since-deleted tweet saying the Waukesha massacre that killed six people, including one child, was 'caused by an SUV'. Darrell Brooks (pictured) faces intentional homicide charges in connection to the incident

Social media users slammed the Washington Post over a viral since-deleted tweet saying the Waukesha massacre that killed six people, including one child, was ’caused by an SUV’. Darrell Brooks (pictured) faces intentional homicide charges in connection to the incident

The author also said the ‘SUV then drove down Main Street, hitting more than 40 people and killing at least five of them’.

‘Down the road, instead of following the parade route and make a turn to get to Wisconsin Avenue, the SUV went straight through North West Avenue, passing over the barriers,’ the article continued. 

The newspaper was heavily criticized on Twitter over their language choice. 

‘”Caused by an SUV.” “Events unfolded.” Notice how the Left seeks to cover for black criminals by depriving them of human agency @washingtonpost,’ podcaster Dinesh D’Souza tweeted.

‘Since it’s the serious position of the @washingtonpost and @nytimes that an SUV was to blame for 6 deaths and 40+ injuries in Waukesha are they going to advocate for them to be banned?’ questioned podcast host Benny Johnson. 

One Twitter user called the newspaper ‘pathetic,’ while another suggested placing blame on the weapon instead of the person was Washington Post’s pattern.

‘Blaming guns for shootings and SUVs for truck attacks. At least there’s consistency,’ said Andrew Hagstorm, White House Correspondent for the Daily Caller.   

Washington Post has since deleted their tweet, issuing a retraction that read: ‘We’ve deleted a previous tweet for this story that included language that was changed after publish.’

However, social media users are still questioning the outlet and it’s reliability.

‘And y’all wonder why people don’t trust the media…’ wrote @AjaxStudy.

‘Does this mean autonomous SUVs aren’t on a killing spree? Well, that’s just great. I shot the hell out of a Toyota Highlander screaming “there can be only one!” for nothing,’ @EvilTomHanks mocked.  

The newspaper's article chronicling the events of the massacre, failed to mention Brooks until the fifth paragraph. It also repeatedly referred to the SUV as action-driver, not Brooks who was behind the wheel

The newspaper’s article chronicling the events of the massacre, failed to mention Brooks until the fifth paragraph. It also repeatedly referred to the SUV as action-driver, not Brooks who was behind the wheel

The Christmas parade began on Sunday at 4pm, with participants starting at Main St. and Whiterock Ave. It was always intended to be a short parade, ending half a mile away at the northeast corner of Cutler Park. At 4.39pm, the red SUV is filmed speeding down Main Street. It smashed into the crowd, and sent bodies flying, before carrying on down towards the end of the parade, where the car broke through barriers. The SUV was found less than five blocks away and the driver was taken into custody but it’s unclear exactly where

Meanwhile, Brooks faces five counts of first-degree intentional homicide. Additional charges related to the sixth death and the more than 60 people injured will be coming later this week or next, said Waukesha County District Attorney Susan Opper.

The criminal complaint said 62 people were injured, up from the 48 previously announced by police.

Waukesha police said that Brooks was leaving the scene of a domestic dispute that had taken place just minutes earlier when he plowed into the parade. 

Authorities say no motive has been established for Brooks, but some note he could have turned down a side street to avoid the parade but instead chose not to. 

He rocked back and forth in his seat and cried throughout his court hearing on Tuesday, his attorney’s arm on his back, as the charges against him were detailed.

His bail was set at $5million, and a preliminary hearing was scheduled for January 14. 

Legal experts say the evidence strongly supports intentional homicide charges that would mean life in prison. 

Darrell Brooks, 39, is ushered into court in Wisconsin on Tuesday for his bail hearing

Brooks was seen wearing a green vest and later rocking back and forth in his chair during the hearing, staring at the floor throughout

Darrell Brooks, 39, is ushered into court in Wisconsin on Tuesday for his bail hearing. He was later seen rocking back and forth in his chair during the hearing, staring at the floor throughout

Authorities say no motive has been established for Brooks in Sunday’s attack, but some note he could have turned down a side street to avoid the parade but instead chose not to

Former Waukesha County District Attorney Paul Bucher told Reuters Wednesday it might be difficult to prove intent with the first person Brooks struck, ‘but when he kept going and knowing what he had done to the first person and didn’t stop, then it was all intentional’.

Brooks, 39, is charged with five counts of first-degree intentional homicide and is expected to face a sixth count after an 8-year-old boy died Tuesday. Waukesha County District Attorney Susan Opper has also said additional charges are likely.

Waukesha Court Commissioner Kevin M. Costello set Brooks’ bail at $5million.

Brooks’ attorneys, Jeremy Perri and Anna Kees, cautioned people not to judge the case before all facts are known.

The 39-year-old aspiring rapper was  has been charged with crimes more than a dozen times since 1999, mostly in Wisconsin but also in Georgia and Nevada. He had two outstanding cases against him at the time of the parade disaster.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *