Inter Miami owner David Beckham edged closer to beginning construction on a new $1billion stadium complex.
The billion-dollar project, named the Miami Freedom Park, is said to include a 25,000-seat stadium for the MLS club, a luxury 750-room hotel, a retail center and an office.
The soccer legend is now only one vote away from being granted permission to begin work on the massive complex after clearing a major hurdle last Thursday, according to the Miami Herald.
Commissioners voted 4-1 to grant preliminary approval to Inter Miami’s ‘special area’, which is on the current site of a golf course.
The ‘special area plan’ is a zoning procedure that allows developers to build bigger if they agree to provide public benefits in return, such as money and parks.
The vote is the first of two hurdles Inter Miami must overcome as they seek permission to build the Miami Freedom Park.
It means the club is now just one vote away from being able to pull permits, start cleaning the contaminated land under the golf course and being construction.
However, Beckham, who co-owns the club with billionaire Jorge Mas, will have to wait until September for the final vote to take place.
Inter Miami owner David Beckham edged closer to building a new $1billion stadium complex
The soccer legend is now only one vote away from being granted permission to begin work
And, the former England star, who owns a $24million penthouse in Miami with his wife Victoria, could yet face obstacles.
The hearing Thursday made it clear there were still issues to be addressed as critics have argued that the team has not been sufficiently specific about public benefits.
So far, the public benefits promised in exchange for the ‘special area plan’ reportedly include $20m for the city to use on park improvements, $5m for the Baywalk/Riverwalk project and a living wage paid to workers onsite.
The MLS side continue to play their home games at a temporary facility near Fort Lauderdale
However, Commission Chairwoman Christine King warned the team she would delay the second vote if the owners could not clearly ‘commit in writing to a requirement for a percentage of minority-owned businesses to operate at the complex and local preference in hiring’ in addition to the other public benefits.
‘If it comes back second reading and it’s not clear, I’m going to defer it,’ King told the developers’ attorneys Thursday night.
Other critics have reportedly claimed that the no-bid, 99-year lease hands over the parcel for below market value and slammed the demolition of an existing park and golf course to make space for the project.